Friday, December 25, 2015

CELEBRATING AT THE MOUNTAIN

MY CHRISTMAS MEMORY

By Doc Lawrence

We gather here today, exchange presents and begin the feast. There’s food, egg nog (General Lee’s own recipe), music and laughter, all part of a celebration of family and friends. Joy prevails. December is my day-to-day journey to this magic moment when the world-at least in my little Georgia town-is peaceful. It’s a season of birthdays and remembering my mother who departed this world on a December evening. No person I’ve known enjoyed the Christmas season more. She glowed as children opened the presents she had wrapped in such beautiful paper, bound with pretty ribbons.

Mother was from Alabama and I’ve always found comfort on this day through the glorious story by Truman Capote based on his Alabama childhood.

“And when that happens, I know it. A message saying so merely confirms a piece of news some secret vein had already received, severing from me an irreplaceable part of myself, letting it loose like a kite on a broken string. That is why, walking across a school campus on this particular December morning, I keep searching the sky. As if I expected to see, rather like hearts, a lost pair of kites hurrying towards heaven.”
                                        ― A Christmas Memory, Truman Capote

MERRY CHRISTMAS

No comments:

Post a Comment