Sunday, November 20, 2011

A THANKSGIVING PRAYER

 THANKSGIVING BEGAN WITH ABRAHAM LINCOLN 


LINCOLN BIRTHPLACE MEMORIAL IN KENTUCKY

Before we are overwhelmed by the delights of the table, ponder the spiritual meaning of this day. Everyone has something to be thankful for, even if it’s just remembering a church bell ringing or a haunting trumpet solo.

Thanksgiving was officially introduced to Americans by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War. The Civil War Sesquicentennial began this year and extends through 2015.  A prayer of gratitude was found in the belongings of a dead Confederate soldier during the Civil War:

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve,
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked God for health, that I might do greater things,
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy,
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men,
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for
- but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among men, most richly blessed.

Thanksgiving is the time to reflect. If we enjoyed a good year, we express thanks. If there have been difficulties, we are happy for what we do have and resolve to continue doing our best. The appreciation of life isn’t predicated on wealth or plenty, just quiet acknowledgement for the gift of life and the beauty of the nearby world.

Warmest wishes,
Doc
Doc Lawrence
Stone Mountain, Georgia






No comments:

Post a Comment